Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Jungle Stand Taste Bar June 2013

I received my first Taste Bar from The Jungle Stand recently! This service sends out a box each month with 6 different tastes based off of a theme.
 
Inside the box was six samples of different foods and a pack of crackers to cleanse your palate between tastes.

The information sheet

This month's theme was Welcome to Taiwan. It included 6 different foods from Taiwan and other nearby countries. Included in the box was:

Sachima
Rice Crackers
Sesame Pastry
Squid
Pumpkin Cake
Peanut Brittle

I gathered together my tasting crew (a.k.a. My brother Nick and boyfriend Dave) and we decided to jump right into it.

Sachima
Located at the top left of the box.
Sachima is a caramel dessert. It was interesting to try because when i first took a bite, it was very similar to a rice cake in texture but then it became softer and chewier. It had a very light taste. Everyone enjoyed it and it was my favorite taste in the box.

Rice Crackers
Located at the top middle of the box.
This was my brother's favorite taste. It had a Styrofoam consistency with a very sweet first taste (because it was dusted with sugar). I thought it had a strange aftertaste so I was not a big fan of this.

Sesame Pastry
Located at the top right of the box.
My boyfriend loved this! It also had a Styrofoam consistency but was coated in a layer of sesame seeds. I liked this more than the rice crackers but it still wasn't something I could see myself eating all the time.

Squid
Located at the bottom right of the box.
I was most nervous to try this! I had eaten squid in the past with my best friend Kelly but we both hated it! When I last had it, it smelled awful and tasted very strongly like fish. This was better than that (it was probably a better quality) but I still didn't like it. It comes in strips that are comparable to the texture of beef jerky but taste vaguely like fish. It wasn't horrible but not good either.

Pumpkin Cake
Located at the bottom middle of the box.
I wasn't expecting to like this because it seemed like a strange taste combination to have pumpkin and seaweed but it was so yummy! I really enjoyed this a lot.  It was light but had many layers and was a bit tough. It tasted like pumpkin with a hint of salt.

Peanut Brittle
 Located at the bottom right of the box.
This was awesome! Not like any peanut brittle I've had before. It was VERY heavy and hard. It tasted less sweet than most peanut brittles (which I liked!). It tasted just like normal peanuts. I could see myself getting more of this to snack on.


I had a great time trying all these different foods and tasting new flavors and textures that I've never experienced before. I look forward to the upcoming months to see what they come up with next!

If you would like to try out this service you can visit their site at https://www.thejunglestand.com/JungleStand/.


No comments:

Post a Comment